Next week marks the 140th anniversary of the opening of Whitgift Middle School in 1882, as Trinity was first known – then located in Church Road, central Croydon.
Here, the school grew in student size from relatively small numbers to around 370 in 1931 when it moved to the school buildings at North End. It wasn’t until 1965 that Trinity moved to its current location, on the site of the former Shirley Park Hotel.
“It must have been very cramped at Church Road to cater for over 300 students when probably the building was designed for less than 150,” notes Archivist, Laurie King, who is in touch with the great, great grandson of William Ingrams, the first Headmaster of Whigift Middle School.
Scroll right to see more stories