- A great week for Trinity Water Polo
- Trinity colleague named 'Real Rugby Hero'
- Trinity student qualifies for British Youth Fencing Championships
- Trinity Boys' Choir perform A Midsummer Night's Dream with English National Opera
- Trinity host Facets of Science lecture evening
- Fifth Year Douglas Sheppard selected for England U17 Water Polo team
- Zain Lam wins five gold medals in the Surrey Age Group Swimming Championships
- Trinity 1st XV Rugby Team through to National Finals
- Trinity's Lower School Drama production a hit with audience!
Head of Department - Mr G Spreng
History is taught to all boys in the Lower School, where we broadly follow the National Curriculum from the Norman Conquest to WW2. Teaching is based on an enquiry-led approach. The subject is chosen by a high percentage of the boys at the end of the Third Year for iGCSE, where we follow the Edexcel syllabus. Boys study the 4 core units for examination whilst immersing themselves further in the subject matter at hand through wider reading.
- Development of Dictatorship: Germany 1919-1945
- A world divided: Superpower Relations 1945-1962
- The fall of communism in Europe, 1979-91
- Conflict, crisis and change: China, c1911-c1989
We tend to attract around 50 students taking the subject for AS level (OCR). It is studied in a wide variety of subject combinations, though ideally all students at Trinity will study at least one Early Modern and one Modern Unit over their two years in the Sixth Form. Current AS & A2 topics include:
AS - British History
A2 - Historical Interpretations & Investigations
A2 - Themes in History
We also run a variety of societies. The Lower School has a dedicated society aimed at exploring areas of the curriculum that are not taught in class. IGCSE boys have their own reading group, The Guerrilla History Society. Our Sixth Form run The Heretics which meets three times every half term to discuss wider issues within History. There is also provision for those that wish to attend lectures at the LSE, undertake site visits (such as to the Tower of London) and attend plays and films. The History Department is also on twitter @historytrinity and Instagram historytrinity.
The Department is a firm believer in exploring history outside of the classroom. Current events include the annual Medieval Day (First Year), study visits to the National Army Museum and the National Portrait Gallery (Second Year) and the expedition to the Somme (Third Year). All IGCSE students are offered study visits to Berlin (4th Year) and China (4th and 5th Year). Sixth Form Historians have travelled to Spain, Istanbul and Vietnam in recent years. We took 46 students to Washington in 2012-13 and a visit to Moscow and St. Petersburg is taking place in 2014-15. We were the recipients in 2013 of an Independent Schools’ Award. This was for the Outstanding Community Initiative in relation to our Museum Project.