Director of Art - Mr A C Smith
In charge of Photography - Ms T Stevens-Lewis
The Art Department is located in the Shaw building, and offers one of the best facilities in the country. Studios are generously equipped and used for teaching all year groups, from Juniors (year 6) to Upper Sixth (year 13). The department specialises in Fine Art and Photography and those pupils specialising in Photography from year 9 explore Fine Art through the Medium of Photography. Pupils are offered excellent working conditions and we offer a wide variety of options through our teaching programme. These include: Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Graphics, Sculpture, Ceramics and Photography. The department offers wide range of extra-curricular activities which meet weekly, these include Pottery, Video and specializations in Art practice. For more information on studying Art or Photography for A level, please click HERE.
- To develop qualities of observation, imagination, perception and awareness of visual relationships in the use of shape, line, tone, colour, texture and form.
- To discover the potential of materials by exploitation and experiment through personal involvement.
- To develop in pupils a critical and visual interest in their social and cultural environment.
- To develop in pupils a self-disciplined, organised and flexible approach to their work, so as to enable them to work to a brief, and to become aware of their ideas independently.
- To develop in pupils the broadest possible concept of what art and photography can be, demanding as much intellectual involvement as possible, and to develop a rigorous creative thinking process that will harness and enable creativity to flourish.